Today I will be looking at support for the paleo diet. As a health claim, there is potential for the diet to be a successful belief with credible sources from studies. I have found two articles in support of the paleo diet with proof that health improving concepts are present.
The following is evidence found to be true for the paleo diet
- Weight loss (Gunnar, 2015) (Cordain, 2014)
- Blood pressure reduction (Gunnar, 2015)
- Waistline reduction (Gunnar, 2015)
- Cardiovascular risk reduction (Gunnar, 2015)
- Lower cholesterol (Gunnar, 2015)
- Liver fat reduction (Gunnar, 2015)
- BMI Reduction (Gunnar, 2015) (Cordain, 2014)
- More effective than diabetes diets (Gunnar, 2015) (Cordain, 2014)
5 Studies on The Paleo Diet – Does it Actually Work?
This article focuses on 5 studies looking at various aspects on the paleo diet. The studies look at the following areas: weight loss, blood pressure, waistline, cardiovascular risk factors, cholesterol, and liver fat. The studies are all completed by medical professionals within the past 10 years.
- A study by Lindeberg S, et al. looked at 29 men with heart disease, elevated blood sugars, or type 2 diabetes. The study lasted 12 weeks and had two groups, one on a paleo diet and one on a more modern diet. After 12 week, it was found that men on the paleo diet lost around 11lbs and on averaged 2.2 inches off their waists. The study concluded stating that the paleo diet can reduce waist circumference and glycemic control.
- A study by Osterdahl M, et al. looked at 14 healthy students in medical school (5 male and 9 female). The students were instructed to eat a Paleolithic diet for 3 weeks with no calorie restrictions. After the 3 weeks, it was found that the students lost 5lbs on average, BMI dropped 0.8, waist circumference dropped 0.6 inches, and systolic blood pressure dropped 3mmHG. The study concluded stating that the paleo diet can reduce waist size and systolic blood pressure.
- The third study was done by Jonsson T, et al. 13 people with type 2 diabetes were played on either a paleo diet or a diabetes diet. After the 3 month period, it was found that those on the paleo diet lost 6.6lbs more than those on the diabetes diet with a 1.6 inches dropped from their waistlines. The study concluded stating that the paleo diet has stronger weight loss properties and several improvements in cardiovascular risk factors in comparison to a diabetes diet.
- The fourth study was constructed by Frassetto, et al. in 2009. This study was conducted on 9 healthy individuals. They were instructed to partake in a paleo diet for 10 days on a strict calorie count to ensure they did not lose weight. The purpose was to look at cholesterol differences in the body. After the 10 days, it was found that students had: LDL cholesterol reduction of 22%, Triglycerides down 35%, insulin AUC down 39%, diastolic blood pressure down 3.4 mmHG, and total cholesterol down 16%. The study stated that the paleo diet will lower your cholesterol.
- The final study was conducted by Reberg, et al. The study looked at 10 healthy women with a BMI of 27+. They were instructed to eat on a Paleolithic diet for 5 weeks. The women lost, on average, a total of 10 lbs. The women also noticed a 3 inch waist circumference reduction on average. The main purpose of this study was to look at liver fat; the women saw a 49% reduction in liver fat.
The tests all show positive factors for the paleo diet. The users are noticing massive weight loss and cardiovascular risk reduction. Overall the studies are all supportive of the fact that the paleo diet does work and people trying to lose weight should consider this diet. All data from this section was retrieved from: http://authoritynutrition.com/5-studies-on-the-paleo-diet/
Long term scientific verification of the paleo diet
This article is a report looking at the paleo diet and how it has improved over the past few years. At one point, the paleo diet was ranked last in a rating of 32 diets by the U.S. News and Worlds Reports. The paleo diet has since been tested over many different length studies and has found that it is an amazing method of weight loss. Experiences have found that the paleo diet is superior to the standard diabetes diet in almost every way. Studies conducted in the past two years have also found that the paleo diet can reduce cancer risk and metabolic syndrome diseases. Overall the article states that the paleo diet will improve your health and well-being. All data from this section was retrieved from: http://thepaleodiet.com/long-term-scientific-verification-of-the-paleo-diet/#.VsAO-PIrKUk
Both articles agree that the paleo diet is an effective weight-loss method. We can we that the paleo diet has many perks and has proven successful in every study visited in this post. Even when compared to more modern diets it is shown that the paleo diet comes out on top.
Cordain, L. (2014, February 7). Scientific verifitcation of the paleo diet. Retrieved from The Paleo Diet: http://thepaleodiet.com/long-term-scientific-verification-of-the-paleo-diet/#.VsAO-PIrKUk
Gunnar, K. (2015, July). 5 Studies on The Paleo Diet – Diet it Actually Work? Retrieved from Authority Nutrition: http://authoritynutrition.com/5-studies-on-the-paleo-diet/